Thread: Failed to convert virtual machine

Failed to convert virtual machine

I'm trying to convert a Windows server 2012r2 server running on ESXi 5.1 to Hyper-V. I started out using the MS virtual machine converter, but it doesn't seem to support UEFI machines. I found this 5NINE's tool, which seems good I have been able to convert a couple of machines, but now I have one that I just can't convert. I get a message:

"failed to convert virtual machine 'hostname'. Failed to provision a new virtual machine. I end up with a ~25GB vhdx, the source machine has a 40GB HDD. I believe part of the problem is that the conversion wizard has Generation 1 auto selected, and greyed out. I can't change it to Gen 2. The source VM has SCSI disk and EFI 'bios', so I know Gen 1 Hyper V machine won't work. Why will this tool not allow me to select Gen 2? I tried other VMs, same source host, all deployed from same base template, and they show up as Gen 2. I can't figure this out and really don't want to have to rebuild this machine

Can anyone assist?

What's the file system on the source machine? If it's FAT32 that might be a problem since FAT32 won't accept files bigger than 4GB. Try NTFS

Thanks for the reply - I wish it was that easy, but no, it's not FAT32. I was really hoping someone from the 5Nine team could chime in on this one, I'm out of ideas and have given up on this tool for now, which is a shame as it was able to convert some UEFI VMs that the MS virtual machine converter was unable to

Administrator
    Hi TheDL,

Please ensure, that you have x2 VM size space available on a destination Hyper-V host.
    It would also help, if you could launch 5nine V2V Easy Converter as Administrator on a destination Hyper-V host directly.

Alexander