Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem Converting more than 1 disk on same datastore

Problem Converting more than 1 disk on same datastore

Hi,

I'm trying to convert a VM on an ESXi 5.0.0, the converter (v3.3) downloads the 3 disks, but on conversion fails after converting the first disk, telling the disk already exists.

The vmware disks are all on same datastore also.

I enclose the trace log.

Any ideas?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Administrator
    Hello MadwolfPT,

Can you please make sure, that each of your Virtual Disks has an unique name.
    Have you tried to convert any VMs with one attached disk?

Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    Hello MadwolfPT,

Can you please make sure, that each of your Virtual Disks has an unique name.
    Have you tried to convert any VMs with one attached disk?

Alexander
    The virtual disks have different names: LIONDB.vmdk and LIONDB_1.vmdk

I've converted some other VM's with single disk attached without problems.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MadwolfPT View Post
    The virtual disks have different names: LIONDB.vmdk and LIONDB_1.vmdk

I've converted some other VM's with single disk attached without problems.
    MadwolfPT,

We have reconstructed your scenario, and conversion worked fine.
    Please carefully check the paths, that you use for VM files.

If this does not help, can you please list step by step what you are doing during the conversion, and settings that you specify on each step?

Alexander
    Last edited by Alexander; 07-24-2014 at 10:52 AM.

Administrator
    MadwolfPT,

Please try the latest build of 5nine V2V Easy Converter, it is very likely to help you.

Alexander

Hi Alexander,

The customer managed to do the conversion, according to him, he was pointing to vsphere instead of host itself.

We are facing a similar issue now, but with other server. But on this one the disks are on different data stores...
    Almost at the end he fails telling the disk already exist.

We dig into disks (5) and we found what probably is failing the conversion, on one Datastore there is a disk EV01.vmdk and on another there is a disk with same name... (the other disks seems with no problem as they are EV01_1.vmdk to EV01_4.vmdk)

We are migrating the disks to the same datastore (we assume that can´t be two disks with same name on the datastore, so one must be renamed by vsphere itself.), and after that we'll try the conversion.

I'll let you know about sucess.

PS: All this is being done with v3.4 already

Hi Alexander,

The customer managed to do the conversion, according to him, he was pointing to vsphere instead of host itself.

We are facing a similar issue now, but with other server. But on this one the disks are on different data stores...
    Almost at the end he fails telling the disk already exist.

We dig into disks (5) and we found what probably is failing the conversion, on one Datastore there is a disk EV01.vmdk and on another there is a disk with same name... (the other disks seems with no problem as they are EV01_1.vmdk to EV01_4.vmdk)

We are migrating the disks to the same datastore (we assume that can´t be two disks with same name on the datastore, so one must be renamed by vsphere itself.), and after that we'll try the conversion.

I'll let you know about sucess.

PS: All this is being done with v3.4 already
    We sucessfully made the conversion this way... we have EV01.vmdk, EV01_3.vmdk, EV01_4.vmdk, EV01_5.vmdk and the one that had a confliting name, was renamed to EV01_1.vmdk.

The VM is now converted and operational

PS: Is there any way during the conversion where we can choose to have a fixed disk insteadt of a dynamic growning one?

Regarding this situation that I had, is it possible in future versions, that in case a disk already exists with same name, to come up a dialog box to allow us to rename the target disk name?
    Or alternatively the converter itself rename the target vdisk, adding something to the name of the disk?

Administrator
    Regarding this situation that I had, is it possible in future versions, that in case a disk already exists with same name, to come up a dialog box to allow us to rename the target disk name?
    Or alternatively the converter itself rename the target vdisk, adding something to the name of the disk?
    MadwolfPT, the latest build of 5nine V2V Easy Converter does that
    VHD disks are fixed, by default, VHDX ones are dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    MadwolfPT, the latest build of 5nine V2V Easy Converter does that
    We used v3.4 and it didn't ask

[QUOTE=VHD disks are fixed, by default, VHDX ones are dynamic.[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the info