Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Failed to convert virtual machine...

Failed to convert virtual machine...

Hi all. Hopefully someone can help me out with this. I have tried using the converter on my Windows 7 machine, on a 2008 R2 server, and on a 2012 R2 Hyper-V server. Everywhere I try it from, I can only do one machine at a time. If I attempt more than one machine, I get the following error:

Failed to convert virtual machine 'MachineName'. Failed to convert virtual hard disks: Did not find first parent in VirtualMachine Paramenter name ropName

I would appreciate any help with this. We have over 50 machines in our ESXDev environment we want to move to Hyper-V. Moving one at a time would not be fun.

Thank you in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Hello Mako-Wish,

Can you please attach conertorTrace.log file from the program's directory, so we can analyze what exactly is going wrong with your setup.

Alexander

Sure. Threw it in a ZIP archive, because the site was saying it was invalid as LOG, and too big as TXT.

Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Administrator
    Thank you, Mako-Wish!
    Logs indeed say that you managed to convert several virtual machines by this moment.
    Is last VM, that you tried to convert, any different from other ones? Anything special about it (i.e. the VM is located at another storage)?
    It seems that 5nine V2V Easy Converter was not able to detect data store correctly.

Do you have PowerCLI installed (may be helpful for future diagnostics of your issue)?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    Thank you, Mako-Wish!
    Logs indeed say that you managed to convert several virtual machines by this moment.
    Is last VM, that you tried to convert, any different from other ones? Anything special about it (i.e. the VM is located at another storage)?
    It seems that 5nine V2V Easy Converter was not able to detect data store correctly.

Do you have PowerCLI installed (may be helpful for future diagnostics of your issue)?
    Same ESX host to same Hyper-V host. Nothing different. I will try using the CLI method on the next few.

Quote Originally Posted by Mako-Wish View Post
    I will try using the CLI method on the next few.
    I have been using the CLI method for my last few conversions. It is much easier this way. I just created a batch file to ask the name of the machine, press enter, and away we go. Opening several command prompts, I can easily have multiple machines converting at the same time. Everything has been working great thus far, but I just got the error again:

(100%) Failed to convert virtual machine 'NAME'. Additional information: Failed to convert virtual hard disks: Parent disk not found

I have tried converting this one machine three times now, and I get the same error every time.

Administrator
    Mako-Wish, please provide an updated convertorTrace.log for our review.
    Please make sure, that VM's virtual hard disks are all within the same location.

I also had this problem. there was no convertorTrace.log anywhere when I did this, as the GUI did give me this error before it starting moving a computer. I found that it disappeared the next time I tried. The only difference then was that I did not check "turn on the computer after converting".

Administrator
    hal07, please make sure, that you are running 5nine V2V Easy Converter on a destination Hyper-V host under a local Admin account.

Alexander

Just to give you all an update (I know it has been a while), I found the command-line tool to be much easier to use, more effective than the GUI, and a higher conversion success rate. A batch file makes conversion a snap! I named this 'v2v.cmd' and placed it in C:\Windows on the destination Hyper-V server. From any directory, just type 'v2v' to kick it off. You will be prompted for the VM name, or you can call the script with the name as a parameter 'v2v VmName'. Just be sure to change your source and destination server names, root password, paths, etc.

:TITLE Converting Virtual Machines . . .
    @echo off
    cd\
    Set MachineName=""
    :Loop
    cls
    echo.
    echo.
    If "%1"=="" (
    Set /p MachineName="Enter the name of the Virtual Machine to convert: " %=%
    ) Else (
    Set MachineName=%1
    )

if %MachineName%=="" goto Loop

c:
    cd "C:\Program Files\5nine Software, Inc\5nine EasyConverter"
    59v2v.exe -s "ESXDev2" -su root -sp "********" -sv %MachineName% -t "HyperVDev2" -temp "D:\V2V" -vmpath "D:\VMs"
    pause